The President's Council on Service and Civic Participation was established in 2003 to recognize the valuable contributions volunteers are making in our communities and encourage more people to serve. The President’s Volunteer Service Award program was created as a way to thank and honor Americans who, by their demonstrated commitment and example, inspire others to engage in volunteer service.
Recognizing and honoring volunteers sets a standard for service, encourages a sustained commitment to civic participation, and inspires others to make service a central part of their lives. The President’s Volunteer Service Award recognizes individuals, families and groups that have achieved a certain standard—measured by the number of hours of service over a 12-month period or cumulative hours earned over the course of a lifetime.
Depending on the award, recipients can receive:
- An official President’s Volunteer Service Award lapel pin
- A personalized certificate of achievement
- A congratulatory letter from the President of the United States
||100 + hours
||100 + hours
||500 + hours
||1000 + hours|
- Hours of service are accumulated from January 1-December 31.
- Only one award can be earned each 12 month period.
- Individuals who have completed 4,000 or more volunteer service hours over the course of their lifetime are eligible to receive the President’s Call to Service Award.
Individuals/groups wishing to work towards this award need to track their hours. You can do this by keeping an online Record of Service through the President’s Award website
. When creating your online record, please be sure to note your Record of Service Key as RHW-34053. Once you have completed the hours towards the wanted award level; contact the regional program services manager for your region. As the certifying person for the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio organization, the program services manager will verify the service hours and distribute the award to the outstanding volunteers.
For more information on the President’s Volunteer Service Award, please visit the award website